Monday, September 24, 2012

Delia Latham Interview (with Mary Nichelson)


Picture
Author Delia Latham’s goal as a writer is straight forward; “To be used of God to touch the hearts of others through my writing.” Why through writing? Writing has been my passion since third grade, when I won an essay writing contest and took home the coveted prize: a beautiful bed doll with a pink quilted satin skirt. Winning that contest made a profound impact on my young psyche - enough so that I never stopped writing.” 

She is credited with writing songs, poems, greeting cards, articles, short stories, and yes, novels. Her audience is as diverse as the genres that she covers, encompassing young readers as well as adult lovers of historical and contemporary Christian fiction. Although on the surface Latham appears to be a multi-talented successful author, she gauges true success by the way her writing impacts readers. 

Hearing that a fellow Christian pilgrim has been encouraged and uplifted through words I have written is among life's sweetest moments. To know that someone has been stirred to renew a relationship with Christ through those words would be a source of immeasurable joy!"  Her recent release Gypsy’s Game hit book stores earlier this year, rounding out her Solomon’s Gate series. She settled into our interview regarding the series, answering questions pertaining to her characters and the issues they faced as well as freely sharing why she loves being a princess daughter.

MN-Tell us a little about the Solomon's Gate series and what exactly, Solomon's Gate is.


DL-Solomon's Gate is the name of a Christian dating agency founded by Destiny May - the heroine in the first novel of this 3-book series. Destiny's dream of owning an agency where Christian "Seekers" can find true love comes to fruition - with the help of an attractive investment guru and an angel named Solomon. In the first book, Destiny finds not only a dream come true...but a love of her own. In the two books that follow, other Seekers walk through the Gate...and create stories of their own.

MN-Book Three in the series, Gypsy's Game, was just released. Is this the last in the series?

DL-For the moment, it seems so...but now and then I think I hear the creaking of a pair of huge hinges.... Solomon's Gate doesn't follow the rules of earthly plans and schedules - it is operated by Divine hands. So who knows when it might swing open yet again?

MN-You write so accurately regarding issues near and dear to women that your novels become a connecting point with your readers. Are your characters based on personal life experience or divine intervention from God during the writing process?

DL-The Solomon's Gate books were definitely inspired by Someone other than me. God took the "wheel" and steered these characters down paths I didn't even know about. He was working in and on me as I wrote. The entire experience was a blessing.

MN-Your bio states that you "especially love being a princess daughter to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords." I love that! Can you elaborate on what that means to you?

DL-Oh, yes! I've never been wealthy - don't expect that to change in this life. And yet I am rich. My Father is a KING! I may never own a mansion in this world. I may never wear royal robes while I breathe earthly air. But I know the plans my Father the King has for me...plans to prosper me, to give me hope, and a future. Every day He loads me with benefits. He chases me down to pour blessings out on me. I am indeed the petted and pampered princess daughter of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

MN-Playing piano, enjoying nature and designing are just a few projects you are involved in. Do you relate to God in an artistic manner-more through expression than contemplation?

DL-Very much so. Through music, in particular, I find that special bond to Christ. But He's there in every part of my life, every day.

MN-What books are on your to read list? What are some of your all time favorites?

DL-White Rose Publishing (a division of the Pelican Book Group) has so many wonderful books, and many of them are on my TBR list. I also love Mary Conneally and Vickie McDonough. But my all-time favorites are not books you'd expect me to name. They are The Stand, by Stephen King, and Swan Song, by Robert R. McCammon. Both are epic accounts of good vs. evil in a post-apocalyptic world.

MN-In a perfect world, where standards and belief systems are universal, what would "faith based" mean to you?

DL-Based on God's leading and direction. Founded on spiritual concepts and Rock-solid salvation.

MN-Describe your ideal writing spot.

DL-I haven't found it yet.  But I never stop looking. I move from place to place with my laptop, and end up writing in the same ol' humdrum places. But that's just boring reality. In a perfect world, I'd have a pristine clean and awesomely organized office in a glass-walled room overlooking the ocean. Hey, a gal's gotta dream!

Author Bio-Born and raised in a place called Weedpatch, Delia Latham moved from California to Oklahoma in 2008, making her a self-proclaimed California Okie. She loves to read and write in her simple country home, and gets a kick out of watching her husband play Farmer John. The author enjoys multiple roles as Christian wife, mother, grandmother, sister and friend, but especially loves being a princess daughter to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. She loves to hear from her readers. You can contact her through her website or send an e-mail to delia@delialatham.net.
 
Author interviews also featured in the Sept. issue of TWJM:  Charles Drew, Michael J. Scott, and Murray Pura.

About Mary Nichelson: http://www.marysworld411.com/

This interview is courtesy of The Wordsmith Journal Magazine.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Mary, for an interesting interview! You made me think about some things, and I like that. :)

    ReplyDelete